Mithra 181 Women Helpline
The Kerala State Women’s Development Corporation (KSWDC) has set up a 24/7 information and emergency helpline for women in Kerala on the basis of the framework proposed by the Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India. The helpline creates an infrastructure of support for women at all times and for varied purposes with the principles of efficiency and continuous feedback mechanisms at its core. The Mithra 181 WHL is designed in a holistic manner to ensure that no woman is excluded from this service. The helpline will at its best be accessible, responsive and effective in its objective of creating a safe and secure state for them. The Mithra 181 WHL will facilitate a crisis and a non-crisis intervention through referrals to the appropriate agencies such as police/ hospital/ ambulance services/ One Stop Centre and other agencies. Adolescent girls, women facing domestic violence or other forms of harassment and transgenders can avail the 24/7 services of Mithra 181 WHL.
- To ensure women and girls have a reliable government intervention to fall back on in cases of emergencies or when in need of accurate information.
- To provide a toll- free 24 hours telecom service to women affected by violence seeking support and women seeking information.
- To provide information about the appropriate support services, government schemes and programmes available to the woman with the local area in which she resides or is employed.
- To build a helpline that has a strong follow-up arrangement and sees to it that every complaint that comes to them is seen to its completion.
- To counsel women who are in distress and who require urgent mental and emotional help.
- To build a disabled women friendly helpline.